Hello, On 3/16/2011 I asked the following question,
Hi, I’m a resident in Ohio looking to attend a prosthetic review course. There are two that I’m considering and would like any feedback that you might have. One is a two day prosthetic review course from NUPOC (Prosthetics 641: Prosthetics Review Course). The second is the online contemporary limb prosthetics review from UT Southwestern. Has anyone attended either of these review courses? If you have, I would be interested in your feedback as to the quality of the course. Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing your feedback.
Here are the replies if you can post them….
1) I attended the NWU course and did the UT Southwestern online course. In the end I felt like the UT course was the better, as it provided lots of specific information. But more importantly, the multiple choice tests made you review the information that was relevant to the tests you are about to take. I found the prosthetic certification tests harder than the orthotic, which I did not anticipate. The UT online tests allow you to take test, review the material again, then retest yourself. It really helped me focus my study for the cpm. Plus you have access to the material for, I think 3 months. Hope this helps.
2) I attended the NUPOC review course for Orthotics and did the online review for prosthetics. Both courses were good. I felt that the online course gave me more bang for the buck so to speak. Having unlimited access was great. I’d do the on line one.
3) John Schulte has a CD/DVD series that is good for preparing for the ABC exams. You might consider getting his CDs/DVDs in lieu of going somewhere for a study course. His material is new within the last 2 years, up to date and thorough.
4) I am not sure if you are familiar with our Board Study materials. If you are not, we offer packages of our most frequently requested materials of individual products (e.g. Case studies for Lower and Upper Prosthetics etc.). our website is http://www.oandpstudyguide.com Here is the link for the Prosthetic value packages:
Our products make an excellent addition to the review course and to test your readiness for the board exams are our CPE (Clinical Practice Exams) that are 50 questions each and are printable with answer key to allow you to take it multiple time until you feel ready to meet the testing criteria for the appropriate exams.
Good Luck passing your boards!!
5) I did not take a prosthetic review but I can tell you that the majority of the information you will need is from the prosthetic atlas- practically word for word. I took the Nupoc review course in orthotics about 5 years ago and that was a great review but not exam oriented. Save your money and review old q’s you have and read the atlas of limb prosthetics by Bowker and Michael.
6) The UT course help me pass the written and written sim.
7) There was also one reply that did not find the NUPOC course helpful and one reply that did not find the UT course helpful.
Thanks for those that replied. I appreciate your effort to respond and help. Best wishes,