Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Urethane Torsion Rods Results

Joshua Utay

Dear List:

Last week, I posted the following inquiry regarding urethane rods for use in
torsion orthoses. I receicved a single, complete resopnse that follows the
original post below.
–Joshua B. Utay, CPO

“Dear List,

We are looking for the 3/8” diameter vertical rods to fit torsion orthoses
(HKAFO’s) originally sold by IPOS. They referred to the material as
Vulkolan, “a homogeneous elastomer,” that looks like amber urethane and can
darken with age.

Any information on where we can get this material would be extremely helpful
and will be posted afterwords. Thank you.”

>> McMaster-Carr sells polyurethane rods that will fit directly into the
Becker joints. You can get them in various durometers, but if you are
swapping urethane for cables to save weight, you probably want a shore 75D,
or the hardest you can get. Search their web-stie under Polyurethane /
Rods, then select your length, dia, durometer. They come both in amber and
in black. Hope this helps.

Michael S. Johnson, CPO
Twin Falls, ID <<


Get unlimited access!

Join EDGE ADVANTAGE and unlock The O&P EDGE's vast library of archived content.


Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

The O&P EDGE Magazine
Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?