OK, before you ask, yes, I do realize the can of worms I am opening! Yes, I
am a sales rep (DonJoy) but I am also an ATC.
I have a question for the orthotists in this group who fit functional ACL
braces on a regular basis (either custom or off-the shelf): If you receive
a “generic” prescription, what are your determining factors in choosing
which brand of brace you will use? I know there are many factors, but I am
very interested in the thought process that goes into that decision. For
* Do you stick with the same one every time or is there a good deal of
* Is the the biomechanical theory behind how the brace works important to
you, or do you think they all operate pretty much the same?
* If your decision is based on function, which brace do you like and why?
* Is your decision affected positively or negatively by local company
reputation (selling to PT’s, etc.)
* Honestly, how much influence is cost vs. your return from that particular
insurance company in the decision?
Please rest assured that I am not looking to compile data to send out to
your local sales rep. Don’t tell me who you are or where you work if you
are concerned about that. I am merely interested in the perception of the
different braces and the comanies that make them, based on ad campaigns,
research, selling tactics, etc. This is STRICTLY for my own personal
J. Todd Griffin MS, ATC
P.S. PLEASE respond to me personally! I don’t want to start another huge
sub-plot on this listserv that will annoy the majority of the practioners on
the list! I don’t plan to post the results, but if you are interested
e-mail me and I will send them to you directly.