The amputation rate for people with diabetes is nearly ten times higher than for people without diabetes, so effective management or prevention of diabetes might help prevent future higher level or additional amputations for amputees. During American Diabetes Month® this November, the American Diabetes Association (the Association) is continuing its efforts to Stop Diabetes® by challenging Americans to live a healthier lifestyle through the America Gets CookingSM to Stop Diabetes campaign, which will share tips and ideas to help people meet that goal.
“Diet and exercise are critical to preventing type 2 diabetes and prediabetes, and managing all types of diabetes,” said Marjorie Cypress, PhD, CNP, CDE, president, health care & education, American Diabetes Association.”
America Gets Cooking to Stop Diabetes is designed to engage and empower the public to cook nutritious and delicious food and encourage them to be more active. Through a social media campaign and an interactive landing page on DiabetesForecast.org, the Association will share healthy cooking tips, diabetes and nutrition facts, recipes and more, as well as ideas on how to raise funds to help Stop Diabetes in communities across the country.
Weekly engagement activities throughout the month, in both English and Spanish, will include:
- Get Moving Mondays-Get Moving Mondays will provide some easy tips to help Americans get moving and keep up an active lifestyle all week long.
- Tasty Tip Tuesdays-Every Tuesday, the Association will provide ideas about how to substitute certain ingredients for healthier options, without losing the taste.
- What’s Cooking Wednesdays-With Thanksgiving kicking off the holiday season, keeping on track with eating healthy is very important. Each Wednesday, the Association will ask people to vote for their favorite seasonal foods and flavors. The winning picks will then be used to create special recipes. On November 24, America’s most popular healthy holiday meal will be unveiled to inspire celebrations. There will also be a demonstration cooking video, featuring Robyn Webb, MS, food editor of Diabetes Forecast, cooking up healthy holiday classics like herb-roasted turkey and pumpkin pie.
- Get Together Thursdays or Any Day!-This engagement will offer ways for people to implement healthy cooking activities into their daily lives through “Do-it-Yourself Fundraisers” called “Cook to Stop Diabetes.” These fundraisers will be fun parties that can incorporate healthy recipes for family and friends and will also raise money for the fight to Stop Diabetes.
- Fact Check Friday-Each Friday, a question will be posted to test the public’s knowledge about nutrition and diabetes.
- Weekend Challenge to Stop Diabetes-The Weekend Challenge to Stop Diabetes will provide fun fundraising activities for people to engage in.