The American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics (ABC) is celebrating 75 years of serving the O&P profession. ABC was established September 9, 1948, by its first president, Chester E. Haddon, CPO; three orthopedic surgeons; and three O&P practitioners who developed the initial growth plan and established the mission to support high standards for clinical O&P care.
Originally called the American Board for Certification of the Orthotic and Prosthetic Appliance Industry, the name was changed in 1959 to the American Board for Certification in Orthotics & Prosthetics.
Changes over the years included creating a code of ethics program, helping to establish the American Academy of Orthotists and Prosthetists, and the National Commission on Orthotic and Prosthetic Education, and changing to the current name in 2007.
ABC has added credentials that cover the spectrum of patient care, developed the first OP&P facility accreditation program in the nation, and implemented the first mandatory continuing education program for the profession to advance OP&P standards, ethics, and professionalism.