Awards Presented AOPA National Assembly
The American Orthotic and Prosthetic Association (AOPA) presented a handful of awards during its national assembly September 6-9 in Indianapolis.
Award winners include:
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Marty Carlson, MS, CPO, FAAOP (D); Össur Kristinsson
- Hans Georg Näder Digital Education Award: Andrew McDaid, BE(hons); Freeborn Mondello, DPT
- Howard R. Thranhardt Award: Andreas Kannenberg, MD (GER) PhD, and Shane Wurdeman, PhD, CP, FAAOP (D), for Microprocessor Stance and Swing Control Orthosis for Patients Dependent on a Knee-ankle-foot orthosis for Walking; Matt Wernke, PhD, for Upper Extremity Myoelectric Interface and Control Methodologies: A Single Blinded Randomized Clinical Trial
- Sam E. Hamontree, CP(E), Business Education Award: Dale Berry, CP, FAAOP, LP, for Nine Nuances of “99” Codes, a Payers Perspective; Gerald Stark, PhD, MSEM, CPO/L, FAAOP(D), for Clinical Quality Improvement as a Foundational Business Strategy
- Ralph R. “Ronny” Snell, CPO, FAAOP, Legislative Advocacy Award: So Every Body Can Move New Mexico
- WillowWood, the Edwin and Kathryn Arbogast Award: Abigail Citterman, Northwestern University, for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation at the Wrist as a Method to Restore Sensory Feedback for Individuals with Partial Hand Amputation
- Becker, the Otto and Lucille Becker Award: Yasir Aljohani, University of Pittsburgh, for Reasons for AFO Abandonment by Children in Saudi Arabia
Nikki Grace-Strader, director of North American Operations for Osseointegration International, was awarded the 2023 Orthotic Prosthetic Group of America (OPGA) Woman of the Year. OPGA presented the award to Grace-Strader on Thursday, September 7. She was one of four finalists. “This recognition is not just for me but for all the incredible women who contribute to this field. Thank you for this opportunity to inspire and make a difference,” Grace-Strader said.