The American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics (ABC) has released its 2012 Annual Report. The report summarizes the organization’s successes and provides data on the total number of certified individuals and accredited facilities. Included in the report is a message from Donald D. Virostek, CPO, ABC’s 2012 president, summarizing the year’s successes.
- ABC awarded 1,233 certifications, bringing the total number of ABC certified professionals to 14,037.
- The certified assistant program went through several eligibility changes, including the introduction of a second phase of requirements.
- The results of the 2011 Mastectomy Fitter Practice Analysis Survey were published in early 2012.
- ABC conducted practice analysis surveys of the orthotic and prosthetic assistant and the therapeutic shoe fitter professions and published the results in December.
- The ABC board of directors approved changes to the frequency of exam administrations for 2013. All computer-based certification exams are now offered every other month and the Clinical Patient Management (CPM) exams are offered three times a year.
The 2012 Annual Report is available on the ABC website under the Resources and Links tab.