In an effort to enact meaningful change against racism and inequality, Hanger, Austin, Texas, has pledged to take steps that promote diversity and inclusion within the company and in the broader healthcare community.
“At Hanger, we stand for inclusion and respect for all,” said Vinit Asar, Hanger president and CEO. “In our Diversity & Inclusion Pledge, we are reaffirming our belief that our differences make us stronger healthcare providers and better members of our communities. We are also committing to taking thoughtful, tangible actions to help build a more inclusive profession that will ultimately better serve all.”
The pledge outlines five initial areas of focus for the company’s efforts:
1. Dedicating clinical research to studying higher amputation rates among people of color
2. Committing to being part of attracting more diverse candidates to O&P graduate programs
3. Establishing the Hanger Diversity & Inclusion Council, chaired by President and CEO Vinit Asar
4. Expanding on the company’s unconscious bias training throughout the organization
5. Continuing to encourage participation in employee affinity groups for individuals with disabilities, people of color, the LGBTQ community, veterans, and women, as well as launching new groups
Hanger said it will continue to expand on these efforts, with the newly created Hanger Diversity & Inclusion Council focusing on identifying next steps and additional focus areas.
The pledge also encourages other healthcare and O&P organizations to join Hanger in embarking on similar, impactful actions.
“There is a lot of work to be done to dismantle racism and remove inequalities across the United States,” said Lisa Lodyga-Uhl, Hanger’s director of talent management, inclusion and engagement. “Driving change must be a community effort, and every organization can play an integral role in that change by taking steps within their own workplaces to create cultures of inclusion and empathy that ensure all team members feel seen, valued, respected, developed and heard.”
To read the Pledge, visit hanger.com/diversity. Organizations interested in joining Hanger in this endeavor can send questions to Lodyga-Uhl at [email protected], and read her recommendations for fostering diversity and inclusion within organizations on the Hanger Clinic blog.