The American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics and Pedorthics (ABC) is celebrating its 65th anniversary.
ABC was established on September 9, 1948, under the name of American Board for Certification of the Orthotic and Prosthetic Appliance Industry. The term “appliance industry” was dropped in 1959, and the organization became known as the American Board for Certification in Orthotics and Prosthetics. On January 1, 2007, the Board for Certification in Pedorthics (BCP) was integrated into ABC, and the name was changed to what is seen today.
ABC’s first president, Chester E. Haddon, CPO, along with three orthopedic surgeons, and three O&P practitioners developed the initial growth plan with a mission to support high standards for clinical O&P care.